Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Croatia aka the most beautiful place on earth

We spent four incredible days in Croatia and I fell in love with it! It is simply perfect. It is like walking through a classic Disney princess movie but authentic and wonderful. To help illustrate the feeling I would often be overcome with the desire to sing songs from the Sound of Music and Beauty and the Beast. We toured the Old City of Dubrovnik and walked its city walls overlooking the rows and rows of red roofs. We had ice cream and fantastic chicken risoto and incredibly fresh bruschetta. After dinner we happened upon a group of Croatian elementary school kids folk dancing in a plaza and then stuck around for a choir performance on the church steps as the sun set over the city. The next day I went to Mostar, Bosnia which I was nervous about but was pleasantly surprised to find the city completely restored and protected by UNESCO. Their iconic bridge was even restored exactly to its original state with their help. The people were out in the streets and friendly. The markets were busy and full of bright colors. You would pass monuments and memorials for the war but there was definitely a spirit of wanting to move on in the people. My next day in the Dubrovnik we visited their orphanage and pediatric wing of the hospital. After visiting both places it was clear the priority Croatia places on child welfare and I think there is a lot we can learn from them. Although Dubrovnik is a very small city comparatively with only about 100,000 residents. Our final day in the city, Dev and I went on a kayak tour in the Adriatic that took us around the walls of the city and to an island with wild peacocks roaming free. We snorkeled and layed in the sun and enjoyed some ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment